Saturday, May 1, 2010

Why I love Saturdays....

... well, actually, I love almost every day... but here's why I love Saturdays - because most Saturdays I spend most of the day at home, do very little "outside of the house,i.e., church" work (not that I don't love that too - I do, but Saturday is a "different" day), have the girls home all day, and I think I basically feel like a housewife and mother all day (sounds strange, I know....but that's the only way I can explain it).

It's the day I try out new baking projects like...

....donuts! Yesterday Ashlyn was eating a store- bought donut and didn't finish it, so I did. It made me realise, however, that for some reason here in Lae the donuts are always chewy and just not light and airy like they are back in Australia. So I said to Ashlyn that we would have to make some of our own. And so, using trusty old Google, we found this great recipe and they were delicious (and so easy to make!!), complete with cinnamon sugar and all, and just like the ones back in Australia!

Or a new dessert like the one above....Lemon Creme Freeze....given to me by an American friend! Can't tell you how it tastes yet, as it was made for a get-together tomorrow night!

And there is good reason for this photo in my Why I love Saturdays post. Kirilee was home and hung up the washing for me this morning. Didn't she do a great job? She didn't appreciate the sweat dripping off her face though by the time she came inside after standing in the full Lae sunshine to hang it (shhh...don't tell her that's why I conned her into the job! I was hot enough from all the baking.)

And I love Saturdays because it's a time the girls can have friends over for a play. Here Shiana is swimming in our compound with her friend Irish from her class at school.

And I love Saturdays because they often involve craft projects for the kids (well, actually, I love the idea of that more than the actual process, as craft usually means a lot of mess, and well me and lots of mess sometimes don't get on so well together!!) But this one was mostly done outside by Shiana and her friend and though the house stayed clean, dear Shiana still managed to get paint all over her shirt and shorts despite the long old paint shirt she was wearing. She actually got so much paint on the shirt that it soaked through the paint shirt and onto her good shirt underneath!!

And I love Saturdays because the girls always invent some great games to play together (okay, albeit with a bunch of argumentative outbursts from time to time). Here they are playing house.

And I love Saturdays because we always have a homemade German grain bread.. (well, helped along by a delicious store bought bread mix, and a bread maker...but I do only use the dough setting on the bread maker, preferring to do the final rise in a pan and to bake it in the oven - so that's kind of homemade, right?) And it is just so delicious! So hearty and tasty! I took a photo of it too but somehow it got deleted before it ended up on my computer.... So you will have to use your imagination for that one.

And, well, this last picture has nothing to do specifically with Why I love Saturdays, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. Here are our recent additions:

...3 days old and oh so adorable!

Hope your Saturday was a blessed one!

2 comments:

bronya said...

i love saturdays too ... and i love baking, and being a mum (most of the time) ...

i am impressed with those donuts - they look very good ...

the colours in the artwork are very nice ... i love kids artwork ...

Radka said...

Beautiful blog and photos. Have a nice day Radka.