Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A prayer

Sometimes when I look around at all You’ve blessed me with…

When I see…

My tap running clean water into my sink

The counter lined with cups of juice to drink

When I feel…

The coolness of the turning fan on my skin

The cold water refreshing me as I drink it in

When I smell…

The savory warmth of the casserole as it cooks

And the freshness of clean towels as they’re hung on their hooks

When I taste…

The sweetness of pineapple, pawpaw and more

Or the lingering of sweet chocolate which I so adore

When I hear…

Soft music as it plays in the background

Or the sounds of our children as they play around

Then, O Lord,

I stop.

And I pause.

And my heart give thanks

I am humbled

That you would bless me in so many “small” ways

While so many around me…

Suffer...

As they see…

Their water polluted with flies and laden with dirt

To drink and to wash with, to clean the sores that hurt

And feel …

The burning hot sun in stagnant, stale places

With no coolness to ease the sweat on their faces

And smell...

The sickness and death that’s all around

The toilets that with flies and mosquitoes abound

And taste...

The same foods day in and day out

Lacking in nutrients – they make do without.

And hear...

The anguished cries of a sick, loved one's pain

Or the screams of a woman as she’s beaten again

And, oh Lord

I stop

And I pray.

And I pray -

Help me to trust

Help them to trust…

That You are who You say You are.

That from Your loved ones you’ll never be far.

That one day they and we in glory will be…

At rest…

at peace…

eternally!


Just a prayer/poem I wrote yesterday when I was having one of those moments of thankfulness as I smelt our supper/dinner cooking in the oven (which I should really have far more often!) It was written using extreme opposites. Of course, we ourselves have times when things are not so easy and pleasant, just as the people here sometimes experience situations that are better than those described in this poem. However, generalizations aside, the poem is what it is: a prayer expressing how I was feeling at the time!

11 comments:

Denise said...

BEAUTIFUL Nat! So nice and so true. We are indeed so blessed.

Denise said...

....pity your sister doesn't share your writing skills.

Ruben Vlot said...

Nice poem, and in the short time I'm here in Lae I already experienced that it is so true. Strange world we're living in.

As it happens, I also wrote a weblog about thanksgiving today after reading Kol. 2:7 “Keep your roots deep in Him, build your lives on Him, and become stronger in your faith, as you were taught. And be filled with thanksgiving” I'm so thankful that God gave me the opportunity to do all my things around here, and that he shows me that he's with me in all the small things!

Sorry that I still did not contact you for a visit. I'd really like to but I'm busier than expected (and actually that's nice of course!). But I'll surely try to contact you. Still enough time left, so hopefully I'll get the change to get in touch!

Thanks for your nice writing! I'm still following your blog every now and then! Be blessed!

Ruben Vlot

Ryan and Erica Swarts said...

Beautiful poem Nat! It makes us sit back and think and realise how thankful we are/should be for the little things in life!

bronya said...

love this poem ... spoken from the heart about the little things we take for granted ... beautiful, touching and inspiring ... God bless!

Sivert Henderikus & Wilhelmina Van Der Laan said...

That is worth printing in the U.S.
We so often forget about the every day things, that they also come from our God.

Henk van der Laan said...

Een mooi gedicht(poem)

Gordo said...

A very moving and thoughtful prayer. Would be great to see it set to music - and sung from the heart.
Gordon de Snoo

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful poem - ones from the heart are the most touching! It's good to sit back and count our blessings no matter what country we live in. (I guess more obvious when you are in a poor country)
Hope Andrew is recoverying well and that you are all keeping well. Just read your hospital visit entry and can understand that it would be so difficult - all you want to do is help make these kids better!
Take care! xx Matt, Sandra & kids

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a very moving poem Nat. I think I'll print it up and put it on my toilet door. :-)
God's blessing. Rose

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem Natalie. Your heartfelt prayer is one we constantly pray here in South Africa - where so many of the same things are happening. May GOD give you the courage to continue your amazing and important work in Lae. Remember that being rich in God's eyes is not about having clean water and a warm casserole in the oven, or a big house... but about being willing to help and serve others! There are many people in the "townships" as we call them... who are far richer then we are....! We continue to pray that God will bless you all!