Sunday, March 15, 2009

pics and pieces

Yes, I know...you expect me to start this blog with a line about how it’s been a while since I updated. But I am not going to this time....or have I already? Mmm...
This time I think I will just give you a photo update with some explanations and maybe in that way you will get an idea of the last week and a bit (or is that more??) in our life!!

Now for some strange reason this blogging thing is misbehaving and when I upload pictures all I see is words not pictures. I am hoping that when I publish this post they will turn back into pictures, so presuming that is so I'll will go on and just explain what the pics are about. If all you see is a bunch of words, then I guess my hoping was not fulfilled and I apologize in advance


This is Ashlyn in the bean bag we brought from Australia. However, since beans are not particularly available here (and if they are they are very expensive), we filled it with foam which we painstakingly cut into small pieces after picking up offcuts from a local factory ...but it worked!!


Shiana practicing the piano - I am giving her and Kirilee lessons each week...


Shiana and her student-of-the-fortnight award


Kirilee way up the front at school leading an assembly




Kirilee decided to take lots of pics of me leading the youth gathering (see explanation below)...and it seems that on everyone I had my hands in some funny position...I had no idea I used my hands that much!!! I guess that photos don't lie. mmmm....have to do something about that.



The pics above are from a youth gathering yesterday. This Youth Gathering was the first one we had. It is the first of many (we hope). The plan is to hold them every other Saturday (for the benefit of my Canadian readers) or every fortnight (for my Australian readers) or whatever you call it (for any other nationalities that frequent my blog). Anyway, at this first gathering we had 20 youths present!! That is a great turnout, though I do not want to get too excited, as this number will most likely wane to less (going by past experiences). However, it was great to have this many for our first youth gathering! I had so much fun. I am teaching them a course which I am writing as I go, based on the Heidelberg Catechism (in Tok Pisin), and we are basically doing it as an interactive class with a number of fairly simple questions which if they are able to understand and answer it will mean they have a reasonable grasp on what is being talked about. We spend some of the time doing this and then some time doing other things like singing and games. This morning Andrew kept the girls with him, though he dropped Kirilee off there a little later and she just joined in. Andrew took the other two girls with him to make some visits to sick church members (Apparently Ashlyn just sat on his lap without moving!!). It sure was easier for me not having Ashlyn with me, though some other Saturdays I am sure she will come along. I am used to that, though, as she comes with me pretty well everywhere, and she is pretty well behaved usually. She has grown up doing it (everyone brings their children everywhere) so she is well used to it as am I.

Well, here it goes....I will try publishing this and see if the photos miraculously pop up....

7 comments:

Joyce said...

They worked here !!! :)
thanks for you continued uppdates and opening our eyes to life in Lae.

Love Joyce and Ryan

Henk van der Laan said...

Thanks fot the updates

Henk and Joke NL

HH said...

Yep, the photos worked for me too! Great picture update. And...don't worry about using your hands...makes listening way more interesting :)

Chandra said...

Natalie, you somehow switched from "compose mode" to "HTML" mode. Next time you're writing a post, in the upper right corner of the posting window, switch back to "compose", and everything will be back to normal. :o)

Andrew and Natalie VanderHeide said...

Thanks for the tip Chandra....how simple was that!! Hadn't really looked into it yet to fix it, but you saved me the hassle!! BTW, I still faithfully read your blog!!

JJS CARDNCRAFT AND LIFE said...

Was nice to read your update with pics, makes for interesting post i reckon....didnt you know, teachers, ministers, leaders, etc talk with their hands.....it belongs.
Wondering if the craft box is being used yet:) Have fun with it all and i am sure you have many friends to share it with:)
Take care all of you. God bless!

Andrew and Natalie VanderHeide said...

HI JJ - yes the craft stuff has been used already, many times!! The kids love it! Actually, I have just used some of it for an Easter/Good Friday Sunday School craft activity I am busy preparing!! It's been great.