Saturday, September 13, 2008

Come Lord Jesus

The other day I went to school to pick up Shiana from an after-school drama practice. At the time I was looking after a 3 year-old boy, Robert, while Andrew was visiting his parents (local members of the church who live in Biwat) and his older sister. He had come over to our house to play with Ashlyn, and then as it was time to go and get Shiana, I asked him if he wanted to come along. Well, he jumped at the chance – any excuse to get a ride in a car - and in he hopped. So there we were negotiating the potholes of Lae, me driving, and beside me two three-year olds. They kind of were snuggled close together, holding books, looking at pictures, staring out the window, talking in two different languages (yet somehow conversing – kind of), white skin next to black skin. So alike, yet so different...

…and then we walked together into the school grounds. Robert holding one hand, and Ashlyn on the other. And as we wandered around the school it just struck me - In my left hand I hold my daughter’s hand, and in my right hand that of another precious child. Both beautiful children. And yet, as I walked around the school looking for Shiana, it just struck me that little Robert would never have the opportunities educationally that we hope and pray Ashlyn will have...

…and sometimes I just get so frustrated and sad and upset, that these precious Papua New Guinean children and adults too (at least most of the ones who we are ministering to in our churches) do not even dare hope for half of the things that we all so often take for granted…
…and then I am so, so humbled, so reminded again and again not to take anything for granted…

…and then I am so blessed with the knowledge that these wonderful people are rich, too. Eternally rich. And I am so, so thankful to know that in God’s eyes each one of his children is precious and that no amount of injustice in this world will ever take that away. His salvation transcends all barriers and boundaries of gender, race and social status…

…Come Lord Jesus, Maranatha!

No comments: